Raising a child who is transgender, gender diverse, or simply exploring their gender is sometimes a daunting task. Questions are plentiful, answers often much harder to find. What many families say is that the opportunity to converse with other families—those with shared experience and even those whose experience may be quite different—is the single, most crucial resource they’ve found. We offer a growing number of support groups to help make these important connections. Our hope at Trans Families is that your connection with other parents will illuminate the pathways to support a strong, resilient, and happy child.
Video Support Groups
As Trans Families grows, you will see the video groups that are currently available. We will list more groups that are scheduled to launch as we progress. Each group listing will have a brief paragraph describing the content focus as well as the intended audience. Groups may be tailored to parents of kids of a certain age group, or delve into a particular subject matter. You may suggest groups you’d like to see in the future. If you like, we are happy to help you identify the best groups to suit your need.
- You may participate by good old fashioned telephone, your smart phone, or a tablet, laptop, or desktop with a webcam. We understand that safety and privacy is very important so you’ll be able to select the level of participation that works best for you.
- Become a member. We have a brief screening process. Again, your safety and privacy matter and this step helps ensure an optimal environment for all.
- Register for a group and get started.
Yes. In fact, we encourage you to create an avatar or pseudonym which will help to ensure your privacy. In spite of our screening process, there will be some inherent risk as Trans Families extends its resources across the nation. You may participate by phone only or the video link can be set up to show no video.
Yes, you may participate in any group (unless it is designated as a closed group i.e. “Dads Only”). Some parents look into groups designed for parents of kids “an age up”, to preview conversation topics there.
Great! We’d love to hear your thoughts. We anticipate adding specific interest groups as needed. There are benefits to having some closed groups to foster feelings of safety, inclusion, and understanding. As the Trans Families community grows, we are happy to hear your suggestions. Contact us!
We are able to provide one-on-one consultations over the phone or via Zoom (video conference) meeting. To get started, contact us here and let us know some specifics about your questions. Someone from our staff will be in touch soon.
The video below will give you a feeling for how our video support groups work.
New to Video Groups?
We use Zoom to host our video conferences. Before you join your first support group session, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Zoom Download Page.
- Click download for “Zoom Client for Meetings.” This will be the first download (blue button).
- Open and run the installer that was downloaded.
- Open application.
- All meeting participants will need to log in the application to use Zoom meeting links.